A 60 Minute Presentation including Q&A
Large or small groups
As an online media pioneer and lover of gaming and social media, Leonie Smith fully understands why young people are so fascinated with being online. But as a parent and cyber safety educator she also knows how important it is that kids are safe online, protected from scams, bullying, invasions of privacy, spamming and predatory behaviour. Her talks give students the tools both technical and behavioural to keep themselves safer online, whether using message apps, online gaming or social media. She also covers some basic cyber security including passwords and protecting themselves from virus’s or hacking.
Will Kids Really LISTEN To This Talk?
Because Leonie does NOT approach these talks from a negative point of view, but presents these talks as a person who loves social media, technology and gaming, it’s not long before the students in the audience realise that Leonie actually knows a bit about what she is talking about.
During her presentations Leonie totally engages her audience, between having them sitting on the edge of their seats listening intently, to laughing and almost rolling in the isles. The presentation whilst injected with humour, is of course about a very serious subject matter, and that is emphasised.
After every talk Leonie finds the students come up and talk to her, relating their own experiences and asking more in-depth questions about their own usage. Her talks often result in students seeking out help from their teachers and parents afterwards. Her talks can bring up issues that students hadn’t thought were able to be resolved.
Each talk is specifically targeted to each age group:
Years 1/2, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, year 9 – year 12
Subjects covered are:
- Going online safely
- Social Media – oversharing – respect – privacy
- Recognising and reporting an online predator
- Cyberbullying – responsibility – being a good bystander
- Real online friends/strangers
- Dealing with difficult online friends
- Reporting upsetting or confusing online material
- Safe respectful messaging
- Safer online gaming
- Responsible Selfies and video chat (all ages)
- Sexting, the law, where to get help (high-school students)
- Students digital footprint and their future
- Scams, hoaxes, virus’s and passwords
- Mobile phone safety
- Respectful camera use
- Helping mum and dad keep up with YOU!